These are unsubsidized loans for the parents of dependent students. The Direct PLUS is a federal non-need based program. PLUS loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education.
Detailed instructions for completing the Direct Parent PLUS Request are available here.
The annual limit cannot exceed UNTD Dallas Cost of Attendance minus the other financial aidthe student receives.
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed for Federal Direct PLUS eligibility to be determined.
- To apply, the parent borrower must log onto StudentLoans.gov to submit the Direct Parent PLUS Request. Detailed instructions for completing the Direct Parent PLUS Request are available here.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: A credit check is conducted by the U.S. Department of Education to establish eligibility. You cannot have an adverse credit history.
- Parents and their dependent child must be U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens.
- Students must be enrolled at least half-time each semester.
Loan funds will not disburse (pay) until all requested documentation has been submitted, and your aid application is considered to be complete.
A note will be placed on the student's myUNTD "To Do List" if additional steps are required before disbursement.
If the financial aid file is complete, disbursements can be made as early as ten days prior to the first day of a Fall or Spring fee payment (August/January) period. However, disbursements can also occur throughout an enrollment term upon completion of a file.
The current interest rate is 6.84%. Interest rates and fees are valid only from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016.
Loan repayment for parent borrowers begins 60 days after final disbursement of funds. Deferments are available for parents who wish to postpone repayment until after the dependentt student has graduated or withdrawn. Parent borrowers can request a deferment while submitting the online Direct Parent PLUS Request. Deferments can also be requested by contacting the U.S. Department of Education.
For more information regarding repayment, please visit Direct Loan Repayment Plans.
For information regarding deferment, please visit Direct Loan Deferment.
Between 10 and 25 years to repay, depending on the amount owed and repayment plan selected.
- If the loanis credit approved, parent borrowers must electronically sign a Federal Direct Loan Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note.
- If you receive a PIN, you agree not to share it with anyone. Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records, so you should never give your PIN to anyone. Be sure to keep your PIN in a safe place. For more information, please go to here.
- The U.S. Department of Education charges an origination fee of the total amount borrowed per loan. This fee is deducted from the loan by the Department of Education before the proceeds are credited to a student's account. Loans first disbursed on or after 12/1/2013 and before 10/1/2014 will have a 4.288% gross fee. Loans first disbursed on or after 10/1/2014 and before 10/1/2015 will have a 4.292% gross fee.
- Parent Direct PLUS Loan borrowers do not have to complete entrance counseling.
- Visit the Federal Student Aid site for more information.