Standard Financial Aid

There are two types of Financial Aid that UNT Dallas uses to assist students with paying for their education and related expenses. The first one is federal aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Below are the requirements in order to be eligible for federal financial aid:

  • if a male student has registered with the Selective Serivce System between the ages of 18 and 25, if required to do so
  • is a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or an eligible non-citizen
  • have a valid Social Security number
  • have a high school diploma or GED
  • does not owe refunds on any federal student grants
  • is not in default on any student loans
  • has not been found guilty of the sale or possession of illegal drugs while federal aid was being received
  • meet Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students that do not meet the above criteria may still be eligible for State and insitutional financial aid if you are classified as a Texas resident. Students would need to complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid. 

Texas Application for State Financial Aid

If you’re not eligible to apply for federal financial aid, then you may be able to receive aid from the state. You apply for state financial aid by completing the Texas Application for State Financial Aid.

State and/or Institutional Financial Aid Eligibility through Texas Residency

Since September 1, 2001, Texas Legislation (Senate Bill I528, formerly House Bill I403) has allowed schools in the state of Texas the opportunity to award certain state and/or institutional financial aid to assist students pursuing an undergraduate degree if they met the state’s criteria for Texas Residency.  New legislation enacted effective Fall 2006 (Senate Bill 1528) expands the option for residency to other students, too (not just international students).

Currently, the University of North Texas will accept the paper Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Texas Application for Federal Student Aid (TASFA) application to consider eligible new and continuing students for state and/or institutional financial aid.

How will you know if you’re able to fill out the Texas Application for State Financial Aid? See the chart below to find out.


I am a U.S. Citizen


I am a permanent resident with visa type I-551C


I am a conditional permanent resident with visa type I-551C


I am an eligible noncitizen with an Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) showing one of the following:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum granted
  • Parolee (for a minimum of one year
  • Cuban-Haitian entrant


I do not meet one of the statuses above: however, I have been classified as a Texas resident and therefore am eligible to pay the Texas in-state tuition rate. My classification as a Texas resident is NOT due to an in-state scholarship or assistantship.


The University of North Texas at Dallas Admissions Office determines if students meet the state’s requirements for Texas Residency. If you believe your residency should be reclassified, please contact the Admissions Office. Please Note: You must be classified as a Texas resident in order to qualify for state and/or institutional student financial aid. Also, keep in mind that state definitions of residency have NO impact on a student’s eligibility for federal student financial aid.

If you meet the state’s requirement for Texas Residency, please download the TAFSA application, and forward the completed application to our office for review and consideration.

In order to receive state and/or institutional financial aid, program and student eligibility as well as availability of funding may affect the financial aid awarded to you.