At least 30 percent of applications are chosen for verification, which is a process to confirm the information you reported on your FAFSA. After you submit your FAFSA, your information is sent to the Central Processor, where applications are verified. The processor does checks according to federal financial aid guidelines.

If your application is selected, UNT will notify you through myUNTDallas. Your SAR report will also show if you were selected.

What does it me to be selected for Verification?

Verification is a process to confirm that the information you or your parents (if applicable) provided on your FAFSA is accurate.

How are students selected for Verification?

Students are selected at random or by system edits at the U.S. Department of Education;  The school can also select a student for verification if there presents any conflicting information.

What do I have to do now that I have been selected for Verification?

If you have been selected for Verification, the financial aid office will request certain documents from you to verify the information you have entered on your FAFSA is correct. Submitting the requested documents in a timely manner will help to expedite the verification process.

What documentation do I need to submit?

The documents required will vary for each student. Forms and requests will be listed on your Student portal.

I am not required to file taxes. What information am I required to submit?

  1. If you are not required to file taxes, you will need to submit the Verification of Non-Filing letter from the IRS.  The letter can be obtained from the IRS in one of two ways: Online or by Mail

Online Request –

  • Under Tools, click “get a tax transcript”.
  • Click “Get Transcript ONLINE” (If at any point, you cannot validate your identity – for example you cannot provide financial verification information or you lack access to a mobile phone - you will need to use the Get Transcript by MAIL option, see below for instructions).
  • Enter the non-filer’s Social Security Number (you can use your ITIN or EIN), e-mail address, filing status, account numbers for loan or credit card associated with your name, and mobile phone associate with your name. This information will be used to verify your identity with the IRS.
  • Click “Continue”.
  • Select “Verification of Nonfiling Letter” and in the tax year field select “2017″
  • If successfully validated, you will be able to view your IRS Verification of Nonfiling letter that can then print it out for submission.
  •  Submit the transcript to the financial aid office; be sure to include your student ID number on the transcript

Paper Request – IRS Form 4506-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return)

Download IRS Form 4506-T

  • Complete Lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form.
  • Line 5: provides non filers with the option to have their IRS Verification of Nonfiling Letter mailed directly to a 3rd party by the IRS.
  • Line 7: Select the checkbox on the right hand side for Verification of Nonfiling.
  • Line 9: In the year or period requested field, enter “12/31/2017″.
  • Above the signature line: Make sure that you check the signatory authority box.
  • The non filer must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number.
  • Mail or Fax the Completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address or FAX number provided on page 2 of form 4506-T.
  • If the 4506-T information is successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Nonfiling letter at the address provided on their request within 5 to 10 days.
  • Submit the letter to the financial aid office; be sure you put your student ID number on the letter.

What is a Tax Return Transcript?

A tax return transcript is a line by line accounting of your tax return as it was originally filed with the IRS.  The transcript can only be obtained directly from the IRS. It is used to verify that the tax information entered on your FAFSA matches the tax data filed with the IRS.

What is the difference between a tax transcript and a tax return?

A tax return is the original document (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, etc.) and any schedules and additional supporting forms you and/or your tax preparer file with the IRS.  A tax transcript is a summary of this information and is retrieved from the IRS database once your tax return has been processed by the IRS.

What is a Tax Account Transcript?

A tax account transcript shows any changes either you or the IRS made to your tax return after it was filed.  A tax account transcript is not acceptable documentation for verification purposes. 

I have been selected for Verification and need to get a copy of my tax transcript, how do I do that?

There are three different ways in which you can get a copy of your tax transcript from the IRS at no charge.

  • Immediate download from the IRS website.
  • Order a copy be sent to you in the mail. Request can be made by phone 1-800-908-9946 or printing a 4506-T form to submit by mail or via fax.
  • Have a copy faxed to you

How do I download my tax transcript from the IRS?

Go to and click on “Get Your Tax Record”. Next, click on the “Get Transcript Online”. Follow the prompts to retrieve and download a copy of your tax transcript. You will be able to save and/or print out your transcript.

Will I still be able to get my financial aid if I have been selected for Verification?

  1. Your financial aid will not be awarded until you have completed the Verification process. Once the information you have submitted has been verified, and any necessary changes and/or adjustments have been made, you will clear the verification process.

I was selected for verification and have filed an amended tax return. What documents do I need to provide?

If you have filed or will file an amended tax return, you will need to provide a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript and a signed copy of your amended return (1040X) your financial aid office.

I was asked to verify that I did not file a Federal income tax return. How do I do this?

If you have been selected for verification and you, and/or your parents if applicable, did not file a Federal income tax return, you will need to submit the following documents to your financial aid office

  • A signed statement certifying that you have not, and were not required to file a federal tax return for 2016 – If you had any earned income, you will also need to include in your statement a list of all the employers you worked for, and how much you earned from each one.
  • All W-2’s or equivalent documents for all sources of earned income listed in your statement.

Why use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA?

  • Easy: Transfers info with a click of a button
  • Fast:  Instantly retrieves your information
  • Accurate: Correctly fills in data fields
  • Reduces amount of documents needing to be submitted to financial aid office

How do I use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool

  • Log in to your current FAFSA or start a new FAFSA at
  • In the finances section of the FAFSA, you will see a “Link to IRS” button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.
  • Click the “Link to IRS” button and log in to the IRS site to retrieve your tax return information.
  • Review your tax return information and see the tax data that will be transferred into your FAFSA.
  • Check the "Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA" box, and click the "Transfer Now" button.
  • Review your federal tax return information that has been transferred into the data fields on your FAFSA.
  • Submit your FAFSA.

My marital status has changed since I completed the FAFSA. What documentation do I need to submit?

If you are divorced, please submit a copy of your final divorce decree. You may also be required to submit additional income documentation.  For situations other than divorce, please contact your financial aid office at 972-780-3662.